I received an interesting proposition today, but I’m not sure if I should pursue it. Big picture (repetive for all five of you who read this blog):
1. Lost my job. Want a new one. Last one paid pretty well for the area and my education level, unlikely that I’ll find another in that price range. Not sure I want to continue doing the same thing I was – office manager/accounting (without education).
2. Currently working assembling aluminum filters about 40 miles from home. Doing fairly well for a new person. Not sure how long the job will last (it’s temporary for the employer, not just me). Pays about 70% of the old job, no benefits, and I spend $10 – $12 per day in gas alone. I lose 2 hours a day in personal time. With fuel cost and personal time calculated, my time is valued at about half was I was getting before. REALLY don’t like the work – need some mental stimulation. And less pain.
3. New potential job offered that does not pay well at all, but is local, so fuel and additional personal time are minimal. The job is completely different from anything that I’ve done before. I’m nervous about trying something new, but intellectually I know that it would be healthy to try it. I need to shake myself up a bit. It’s for a company that interests me – even excites me. With fuel cost and personal time calculated, my time would be valued at slightly less than half what I was getting before, and about $.75 an hour less than the assembly job. However, with the potential of commissions for outside sales, it could increase slightly. Also, the manager suggested that I give it a try and if I found a great job, he’d understand that I need to move on. I could do that anyway, of course, but having that possibility addressed made me more comfortable.
4. Other potential job doing something completely off the wall for me, sales in a department store, probably doesn’t pay well but does offer benefits. Also local. Interestingly, she wouldn’t tell me exactly – or even generally – what it paid, so that makes me nervous. Would involve nights and weekends. Won’t know for two weeks.
So, what do I do? While the “time value” calculation is all well and good, I also have to consider the “actual value” of the job. While the assembly job entails extra time and cost for travel, I would have more in my check every two weeks. On the other hand, I have a fairly flexible living situation, and could get by on less money for a while, if necessary. I don’t want to push it, of course.
Arrrggghhh. I’m not sure. I think I want to try item 3, but I’m scared, but I’m excited, but I’m scared, but I have ideas, but… I need to talk to him early next week, set up an appointment to meet with him, that sort of thing. But I want to have a preliminary decision in mind before the actual meeting.
Not that I expect anyone to solve this for me, but it helps to clarify things in my mind.