After some deliberation, I finally decided what I want to do for Jeanne’s Double Wedding Ring Quilt Along in April. I’m pulling fabric, and as soon as Mom heads out to a baby shower I’m taking over the Go Cutter.
I didn’t want to go too traditional with the fabric and I wanted to work entirely from my stash. I played with brights and a yellow/green solid background, but I would have had to purchase the solid fabric, and a LOT of it. Also, it just didn’t click for me. The only thing about it I really liked was the light green background.
I clicked through Flickr for inspiration and saw a Pickle Dish quilt (a DWR variation) with different pastel prints for the background. That led me to think about using different light greens in the background.
I found I really didn’t like the brights with the variety of greens. I thought about making the arcs out of a single color group instead of a bunch of different colors. When I think green, I automatically go to purple. This is the result:
I really like this, and I almost stopped there. Fortunately (or unfortunately, sometimes!) EQ7 is just too much fun to play in, and I tried another color palette. This time I replaced all of the yellow greens with soft blues ranging from aqua to lilac to grey.
Because I don’t have a lot of darker purples, I thought I might need to change the arcs to incorporate some dark teals and burgundies, but I find I don’t like this quite as much as the softer one.
I love all three quilts, but I’m going with the second to last, softer one for a few reasons. It will go well in my room and I have more of the blue toned fabrics than of the yellow-greens. Also, the softer palette just appeals to me right now. Finally, I need to stop playing and start cutting. I want to get all of my stuff cut as quickly as possible, so when Jeanne’s ready to start using her Go Cutter I can give it back without having to borrow it again.