I have four half-written posts waiting to be finished and posted. One is a Skill Builder, which will be posted by next weekend (Foundation Piecing). Another is a Test Your Skills Sampler block, which will be posted shortly after the Foundation Piecing Skill Builder because I wanted to offer foundation piecing as an alternate method for that block. Two are about projects I’ve completed (!!).
Instead, I offer this photo:
Yes, I started working on the Double Wedding Ring again. I finally figured out what works for me for curved piecing, and since – FOR ME – it is completely pin-less, I made a lot of progress this weekend. I have to make 16 more footballs, which will take about an hour. The top row is completely assembled and the second row is mostly assembled, but needs to be attached to the top row. I got that far then decided I needed to lay it all out to be sure the distribution of fabrics looked good. I’m pretty happy with it so far. I’ve had a few “let it go” moments, and some seam intersections don’t line up as neatly as I’d like, but I’m trying to take a deep breath and move on.
I cut this using the Accuquilt Go Double Wedding Ring dies, and I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it’s very fast to cut and the little notches make it easy to line up the pieces. On the other, it just doesn’t go together well once you start assembling the footballs. Most (though not all) Double Wedding Ring templates have corner pieces with curved edges, but this one uses squares. I do a pretty good job with my quarter inch seams, and yet the footballs (aka melons) have, without exception, turned out either ruffly or with a puffy center. We also had trouble with one of the dies bending during the cutting process. It was replaced by the vendor, but the second die bent in the exact same place. I still think the AccuQuilt Go is a great tool for certain applications, but it’s far from perfect.
Anyway, I’m hoping to finish the top in the next couple of weeks. As long as the forward momentum continues, that’s a strong possibility.
I’ve also made very slight progress on the Dear Jane quilt. I completed three blocks – simple blocks, and they were cut out several months ago, but progress is progress.
In case you don’t remember, this is what it will eventually look like. (Whether it’s finished in my lifetime is another question.)
And for the gratuitous cat photo, here’s Buttercup sleeping on top of the entertainment center. When the fireplace is on, she goes to high ground and then melts into a boneless puddle. I couldn’t actually see anything but her ears because she’s so high up. I held the camera up and took several blind shots to get this: