I’ve been toying with the idea of making quilted pillow covers for a while now, and a recent visit to a shop that is looking for submissions finally gave me the kick in the pants I needed to do it. I still don’t know if I will pursue selling them, but at least now I have an idea of time and material costs. For the record, it took me 3 hours and 6 minutes from cutting fabric to zipping it closed.
This uses leftover fabric from the Baby Pyramids quilt, though it didn’t save me any time in cutting. I cut the triangles smaller for this pillow, so everything was cut new. It is pretty easy to cut and piece equilateral triangles (and I’m a little obsessed with them now), so I’d say this is comparable in time to making a cover of 3″ squares.
I used an invisible zipper because that’s what was handy. The front is quilted and the back is a double layer of solid fabric. I’ve made covers with envelope backs and they’re quick and easy, and look fine, but I wanted something a bit more finished if I try selling them. Sewing a zipper in is not at all difficult, and I really like the way it looks, especially using the invisible zipper. Good thing I have quite a few from when our local Hancock Fabrics went out of business (six years ago).
The pillow is nice and firm because I used an 18″ pillow form inside a 16″ pillow cover. I don’t remember where I read that tip, but it makes all the difference. I don’t think it would work as well with an envelope back, though.
By pure luck, I happened to see the Pillow Collective link up at Amy’s Creative Side, so I’m joining in. Now on to the next one!
And for anyone doing the Botanical Block of the Month, block 2 is pieced, photographed, and posted… it is just waiting to publish on March 1! This being ahead of the game is a strange feeling…