Long hard look, part 2

Next up in my list of Unfinished Fabric Objects: the tops that are almost done. These are the quilts that just need to have the blocks sewn together, or have just a few blocks remaining.

String quilt blocks by Sandi Walton at Piecemeal Quilts

This string quilt has been languishing in a box for almost ten years. I envisioned it with white sashing, but after I got all of the blocks sewn and grouped into sets of four, I just couldn’t bear the thought of all that sashing. In fact, it’s pieced onto muslin foundations and I think the original plan was to join the blocks with sashing as you would a quilt-as-you-go top, and then use it for a summer bed cover. The sashing overwhelmed me. To make it worse, I could have had a similar effect by using a white strip at the center of each block, with a lot less pain. Then a week or two ago someone asked me about the blocks, and I had a light bulb moment. Just sew them together without sashing! It’s a bit smaller, but still big enough to put on my bed. I’ll go ahead and quilt it with batting, and then it’s done. This one is still on the design wall so I can work on it this weekend. You can read the early stages of the project here and here.

Double Wedding Ring by Sandi Walton at Piecemeal Quilts

Next up, this Double Wedding Ring. I love this quilt. I’m so proud of the work that has gone into it, first in designing it in EQ with a decidedly non-traditional coloring, then in the curved piecing. It’s not perfect, and I love it anyway. All I have to do is sew the rows together and then the footballs along the right edge. I don’t like the two greens next to one another near the middle of the quilt, so I’ll switch the order of the rows. You can read about the coloring decision here and a progress report here.

30s Repro quilt blocks

Next up is a 30s repro quilt that I started when I worked for a dinner theater to use as a prop. I made another quilt, Sister’s Choice (which you can read about here, here and here), for the previous show and they asked to use it again for a production of It’s a Wonderful Life. In my mind it just wouldn’t do to have a quilt with current fabric in a show that’s supposed to take place in the 1920s – 1940s, so I started this one… but it was needed in 10 days, and I didn’t get it done. Because TEN DAYS. Anyway, all that’s needed is 12 snowball blocks, which are already cut, and the setting triangles around the outside. I could have this top finished in a day or two, tops. If I have the fabric, I might add another row to make it actual bed sized instead of prop bed sized. (By the way, I put the blocks on as if  the quilt is lying sideways, so when I say “row” it actually would be a column in the photo.)

That’s it for now. Sadly, there’s a lot more to come…

Advertisements

5 comments

  1. ooo! I really love each one of these! Hope you don’t mind that I’m surfing all your naughty hard long look posts. hehe!!! Yeah, that post title made me chuckle, too. The aqua in the 30s quilt sure is pretty with the repro fabrics, the colors in the DWR are just gorgeous, and the string blocks look terrific without sashing.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I try to reply to every comment, but sometimes it takes a few days. And sometimes, well... it has been known to drop off the radar. I'm easily distracted by shiny things.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s